Saturday, February 27, 2010

Vanity, Vanity. All is Vanity.

After deciding to paint over the stock oak finish of one of our bathroom vanities, I removed the door and drawers and hardware.  The high gloss paint I first applied produced an odd effect - the grain of the original finish seemed to show through, producing an uneven appearance  So after a couple of coats (and one of primer), I covered it all with semi-gloss black.  The end result is much preferable.

(This picture is actually of the high gloss, but it gives the effect.  The mirror above the vanity is also painted.)

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Front View of the Completed Dollhouse

The house is finished, and here is the front view.  The lighting doesn't allow the true colors - the window trim and porch posts are a light tan color; the porch floor is glossy white.
Here is a closer look at the door.  The door knob is actually a small brass screw.  We will be looking for some hinges on a thrifted item in the coming days.  (I didn't want to spend as much on new hinges as we paid for the dollhouse itself.)

Come back in a day or so for "Moving Day"!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dollhouse Stairway Surround

I carved the posts out of 3/8" square pieces like the one on the left (a prototype).  The "surround" will fit into the posts as illustrated in the picture on the right.
This is the gist of the stairway enclosure.  I will glue it together,  stain it,  and then install it in place.  A similar construction will be made to fit the staircase on the lower level.

Adventures in Miniature Land - Baseboard Trim

Snowed in!  So I'm working on the baseboard trim.  It's painted in some rooms...will be stained in others.
  Here is the door in that same room trimmed out.
My next challenge is figuring out railing at the top of staircases.  I have some ideas to try out.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Changing a Seat Covering

Procedure the same - removing seat BEFORE recovering and AFTER new fabric is applied...
Getting corners right is the trickiest.
Finished product.  This fabric is the same I used to cover the back of another chair that also sits in this room.