Saturday, December 14, 2013

Just Another Chest-of-Drawers

 We picked this chest up for $15.  It was covered with the "red" paint.
I stripped the drawers (and had to repair a slide)
then distressed, waxed and polished the top and sides.
Decided on this approach rather than a completely new paint job
since we hope to sell it for a reasonable price
on a local facebook garage sale site.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Monday, November 11, 2013

Trash to Treasure (again)

 Crack on the top repaired
 Knobs added
 Taupe chalk paint; slightly distressed; waxed

Saturday, November 2, 2013


Drawers are lined;
 surfaces waxed.
The piece sold before we could try an alternative chicken-wire
insert for the door!
With a little bit of regret, we will part with this piece later this afternoon.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It Just Keeps Getting Better

While hand-scraping, I realized there was a design on the drawers! 
 Here (above) are the 3 drawers and the door I fashioned to cover the "hole".
Look at the joints in the drawers.  This peg construction and square nails throughout....
(See previous post for the way it looked when we brought it home.)

Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Challenge

Purchased at a garage sale this week.  
Gnawed by rodents while it sat in a barn,
it is now undergoing an extensive renovation!
Just look at those great "pulls"!
 Parts of it had to be rerouted to repair gnawed areas.
 Other parts were fashioned to replace missing pieces.

 Drawers were repaired; and holes filled.
 I reconfigured and repaired the back
and am currently working on a door to replace the missing one in front.
We'll see what we have after a good sanding and paint job!

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Playing with Plaster of Pariss

 Found curbside,
 we brought this plaster of Paris pedestal home.
Patched a few spots, then covered with primer mixed with a bit of paint.
After it dried, we watered down some thinned down homemade white
chalk paint and applied it.  Blotted with a rag for desired effect.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Storage - Super and Free!

It was free--and I bought it home looking like this (above).
After deciding where to place it, 
I narrowed its width to about 20"--enough to accommodate the drawers.
I removed the 2x6 planks on the top to use in another project
and replaced them with a piece of particle board.
 Finally, painted the whole thing in some "oops" solid stain
($10 a gallon).
The weather is near perfect, and the stain is drying quickly.
I may be able to place it in the shed (behind me in the picture)
by evening.
Here are two recently finished projects...The blue coffee table has already sold.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Primed and Ready

See prior post for the "BEFORE" condition...
Now she's primed and ready for the Big Decision.
What color of paint?
(And this one is ready to sell!)
 My wife found the sofa table at a garage sale.  The top was warped and ruined.
I had some oak floor boards on hand,
so I cut them to fit into the top and glued them to the rim.
We'll try to sell it the way it looks below so that someone
can finish it Their Way!

Friday, August 23, 2013

As August Wanes, Work Waxes

 Finished (above)
We're keeping it - at least for awhile.  It's in our kitchen.
 This little stand was found at a garage sale.  
  I'm taking off some veneer and repairing some
  before sanding and painting.
Now for the FREE stuff!  This table which we're turning into a
kitchen island (or potting bench)
and the dilapidated cabinet which needs quite a bit
of stabilizing.  I also picked up a bunch of wood.
This all off of Craig's List.

The nightstand below was found on a curb.
I flipped the top over to do away with the distressed top
and then chalk-painted (homemade) the piece.
It only needs waxed and buffed before going to market....

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Splendor in the Kitchen

 After stabilizing this cabinet, repairing some veneer, removing an add-on bottom piece, and installing a shelf, I began painting the inside - black, per my wife's instruction.
This cabinet was found at an estate/garage sale.
We aren't sure if it was "home-made" or professionally built.
The flour bin was intact; one handle was missing on a drawer.

Monday, August 5, 2013

An Eight-Drawer Treasure

  This 8-drawer dresser sort of fell apart in transferring it from
  the thrift store to the trunk of my car!
Here it sits -- upside down and viewed from the back.
 I decided to get right to work
creating some missing slides for the drawers
and gluing the back and sides together.
My wife purchased it for 1/2 off an already low price.
I can make it "work"!

 I'll also be working on these two chairs that were free
in a garage-sale lineup!  The seats were trashed immediately upon arrival!