Thursday, December 24, 2009

Shabby Chic Chair (Happy Birthday, Rebecca!)

Front and back view of the finished chair.  Thrifted for $3.

One of the back legs needed repair.  A triangular 3"-4" piece had broken off the leg.  I formed and attached a patch, primed and painted it to match the paint.  I rearranged the padding under the existing upholstery and then covered the backside (which was not finished) with some drapery fabric we had on hand.

My wife calls it "shabby chic".
I call it her birthday present!

Monday, December 21, 2009

I've Been Workin' On The....


Finished the roof. Since the top is a flat roof, I used the sand paper as flat sheets like a rubber roof on a flat surface. Then I used a 3/4" piece as a ridge cap between the slant and flat roof sections.

Used old glass cut to size and framed it with 3/8"pieces. Cutting the glass to size is the challenge.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

One New Project; One On-Going

This toy box was purchased at a thrift store for $10. There were a few places that needed to be better secured. I filled a few rough spots with wood filler. I have done a little sanding and will finish sanding and paint the box.

Since the last view of the doll house, I secured the porch posts and put one coat of paint on them. You will notice the porch roof is started. I used 40 grit sand paper. I cut 1" strips, giving me eight strips. I placed a notch for the shingle effect one inch apart. I glued them with a quarter inch overlap over each row. Double click on the picture for a close up view.

Ready for Pick-Up or Delivery

The chairs were sanded between the primer and this final coat of paint.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I used black primer for the first time to prime these chairs that we'll give to our youngest daughter.  I think one coat of satin finish black will be all that's needed on top of this primer.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Building Dollhouse Stairways

After several aborted attempts to design a staircase to fit the holes existing at the time I acquired the doll house, I decided to use paint stir-sticks as the material for these stairs.  It is delicate work, but I think we'll be happy with the final product.